That is the BEST banana bread! I acquired the recipe from a university pal’s mom, who introduced the bread to each lacrosse recreation. It’s tremendous moist, completely candy, and all the time was first to vanish from the dessert buffet. Make it!
It doubtless comes as no shock that many fond recollections of childhood sports activities focus on meals. From the orange slices at half time, to the publish recreation treats, to the end-of-season celebrations, meals visions rival the victories, the losses, the nail biters.
Once I consider soccer season, I particularly bear in mind one factor: Valentina’s brownies and rice crispy treats. Valentina, a tall, putting Venezuelan, by no means missed a recreation and all the time arrived with huge smiles, big hugs and a great deal of treats, the right antidote for a colossal whopping. I’d share the recipes with you all — I attempted to get them a couple of yr in the past — however Valentina swears she all the time simply “adopted the recipe on the field.” Probably story, Valentina. Her brownies and rice crispy treats had been legendary.
Once I consider lacrosse season, once more, I particularly bear in mind one other surrogate mom, Mrs. Myers, and once more, her treats. Mrs. Myers’s banana bread was moist, completely candy, and all the time first to vanish from the dessert buffet — I seemed ahead to it earlier than the video games even began. Midseason I bear in mind even devising a post-game-buffet plan of assault, hitting up the dessert desk first, tucking slices of banana bread underneath a serviette, typically stashing them in my bag for later. What can I say? These things was gold.
I used to be fortunate sufficient to acquire Mrs. Myers’s recipe from her daughter, a pricey pal with whom I spent many hours within the kitchen, principally baking, all the time some type of biscotti, usually cinnamon flavored with chocolate chips. I’ve been making this banana bread for about 10 years now, and it by no means fails to please, children and adults alike.
I can’t wait to imagine the function as soccer mother. With this recipe readily available, I’m destined to develop into a legend, too.
Healthy Banana Bread
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted flour (I never sift)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. table salt
- 5 eggs (I use 4)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts (I never add nuts)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 quart mashed bananas, about 8 (ripe to overripe)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter two loaf pans. (I butter generously.)
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla, buttermilk and bananas.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Divide batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and turn loaves out onto cooling rack immediately. Let cool.